

After frustrating attempts to keep gerbils Sweet Leaf (in first photo) and Grouchy (in second photo) together in one cage, I've decided that I need to permanently separate my two scrappers. Keep in mind that they've gone through their times of fighting and then being friends again. They're two brothers I've had since they were no bigger than jelly beans and also Jobie's brothers (see previous gerbil posts about Jobie). Anyways, at their best times, it's inseparable city. Sometimes it's difficult, for instance, to pick up Sweet Leaf without finding him squirming around in my hands until I place Grouchy next to him. Then they "fight" for the prime head-scratching spot. I think this is the first time I've had such a struggle with gerbils housed in the same cage. Now they FIGHT and shed blood. Not only their blood, but my own (I have a cheap pair of leather gloves that I can use to break up fights). Over several days I've tried placing one guy in an "apartment", while keeping the other in the "house." Then I bring them back together hoping for reconciliation. Lately, there's been some posturing and Grouchy ends up under the brightly-colored log house, squeaking at Sweet Leaf, maybe out of fear. Since I don't really know gerbil psychology, Grouchy could be calling Sweet Leaf a God------ Bastard. Poor guys end up pretty bruised. They seemed to be doing well together in the house on Sunday night, maybe a little tentative, but OK. And then I got up on Monday morning to find Grouchy on the top floor of the house, with blood on his hind leg. I can't tell what happened, and they have both been known to be territorial, so it's possible that they got into a good fight or that Grouchy cut himself trying to scurry away from Sweet Leaf. It's heartbreaking to have to keep them apart, but I don't think I can put them through this any more and they will now have
Separate Lives . . . Take it, Phil Collins.
3 comments:
Dearest Tracy:
I think this is a crisis situation where you need to invest in some gerbil psychotherapy. I believe with the proper medications both can be together in the same cage in a friendly vegetative state like many people taking medication I have known. Now gerbil therapist are hard to find, and a good one even harder; so please make sure you sit in on the first few sessions to make sure things are progressing as expected {sometimes they‘ll find out that it’s not a gerbil problems after all {Smirk}, but a people problem that can be solved with a little frontal lobe surgery without hardly any residual results besides some constant drooling}.
I can only hope and pray this gerbil fighting can be taken nationwide on national Fox TV for all to enjoy. You could put them both in cute little gerbil tights and really make some cool hard cash. {Laughing}.This is just a little advice from a caring friend.
Yours Truly,
Stan
Many marriages would improve under the same directive; live separately! Mostly I wonder why you are posting at 4:11 a.m. You should be sleeping!
Dear Tracy:
Who needs sleep when they are this happy {Laughing}.
Quote "Many marriages would improve under the same directive; live separately!" Human's should never marry outside common breed parameters {aka Gerbils}. If this is your problem, then I have absolutlely no solutions, since I'm going to be spending most of my time over toilet getting sick {laughing}.
Yours Truly,
Stan
Post a Comment