Friday, October 3, 2008

All the Bus Stations In the World

Yet another really old poem. I found it in a textbook copy of Goethe's Faust. Maybe from grad school? I knew I had written some poem in this textbook, but this one wasn't the one I expected. Brings back memories. Ah, young love, how you drove me absolutely insanely crazy (kookoo bananas, as the saying goes in the movie "Hamlet 2"). I wonder where I'll find other old poems hiding.

There are pamphlets
about God and Life
on the wall,
the ones with the young man + woman
and their new child.

"How to avoid apocalypse
and eternal damnation"
is what they really mean.

People are waiting for the
next bus,
the old woman carrying the plastic bags,
the young man
cigaretted and tired,
waiting for the next bus.

There is a hollow,
disinfected, hard
smell in the room
with its Coke and candy machines,
the telephone where
Paul V. Morton is
making a collect
call to his neighbor.

And the girl,
the girl in the
seat in front of the
plate glass window
is reading Faust,
meeting her lover
when she catches
the next bus.

No comments: