Francis Bacon is one of my favorite artists and people, and this is just one part of an amazing documentary from 1985 directed by David Hinton. The interviews are conducted by Melvyn Bragg. I think it might be one of the best documentaries out of all documentaries. And I love documentaries. Did I tell you I love documentaries.
Anyway, this section of the documentary shows an increasingly drunk Bacon discussing painting. He's both vulnerable and utterly glowing and one of the most touching things is that it appears that Bragg may have known Bacon for a while. His paintings are appear horrific and visceral, yet they are some of the most delicate expressions of reality. After all, as Bacon relates to Hinton, what could be more horrific than some of the things that happen in real life. Bacon shatters the wall of "art" that makes people believe that creation must be owned by a select group of people. He refuses to stand behind a veneer of untouchability.
It's a long video. But watch it all the way through the breaks. Just beautiful.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment