Friday, July 12, 2013

The way it was

This is quite touching. I feel some connection to these individuals. A look into how mental illness / emotional struggles were treated many years ago.  Well, actually not too long ago. It appears that some of these people were grieving the loss of a loved one, while others had been struggling emotionally with other issues for extended periods of time. Perhaps some people were considered "too different" by the rest of society. 

On another note, at one time lobotomies were considered an alternative for various problems. I watched an amazing documentary about Dr. Walter Freeman, the man who is considered "the Father of Lobotomy." If you can find the documentary, please take a look. One young man, about 12-years-old, was given a lobotomy because his stepmother thought he was too difficult to control.

As for this article, read the interview with the artist and view his amazing photos.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/abandoned-suitcases-reveal-private-lives-of-insane-asylum-patients/

1 comment:

aarongrey112 said...

Hi, Nice site I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Would it be possible if I contact you through your email? Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112 at gmail.com